Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Time Away From Chocolate...

Mmm... Chocolate...Hello again true believers! It's that time of year again. The time of painted eggs, bunnies that sound like chickens, and, for those who practice various religions, a time of celebration. And it's in that spirit that I join my mom in giving up something for Lent. Last year, it was Facebook, and I still feel that was a success as today, even though Carolyn will tell you differently, I'm not checking my phone/computer as much and have not gone back to my near obsessive levels. I've done alcohol for six months before (that included Lent). If the picture hasn't given it away, this year was chocolate.

Giving up chocolate was harder than I thought it would be. I guess you don't realize how many tasty treats contain some type of chocolate. Obviously, Hershey bars and chocolate chip cookies will contain the sweet confection, but in attempts to find alternatives, I would run into issues. I was enjoying a tootsie pop once and totally spaced that, inside the "fruit" flavored outside, there was a chewy chocolate center... I threw that out right away. I actually have had multiple dreams where I was eating something either that I wanted or out of habit, and would then realize there was chocolate inside. Then there was my "stock pile". In addition to the tasty chocolate treats Carolyn had gotten for Valentine's Day, and the left over bag of Snickers from Poker, there was my usual stock pile of chocolate I have from various place and have received from others (including my mom from her trip to the Debrand Chocolate Factor while in Indiana). I never realized how much chocolate there was around until I gave it up.

Mmm... Reese's Pieces...So what's the outcome of all of this? Well, I like to think I've actually slowed down on my sugar/sweet intake. Something I hope I can carry with me after Easter. And I feel that the alternative I have found to satisfy my sweet tooth will be around for a while as well. I really took a liking to my old friend Reese's Pieces during my chocolate sabbatical. I keep telling myself there are benefits to eating PB (doesn't it make you feel more full than you actually are?), but I think I'm just leading myself on (kinda like the whole "dark chocolate has antioxidants so it's good for you" mentality). I've always enjoyed Teddy Grahams, but the honey flavored has found a new place in my heart (they're packed with calcium and zinc, so they're good too, right? ;) It's funny though, I haven't really done a whole lot of ice cream/frozen yogurt, cupcakes, or anything of the sort to try those out... I think I'm okay with that.

I have to admit to everyone... My mom and I did cheat, and it was pre planned. You see, before lent, I made reservations at the Melting Pot for Denver Restaurant Week/5280. I dunno about you, but I think it's a bigger sin to to go the Melting Pot and not eat the Chocolate Fondue that it is to avoid chocolate all together... The good news is, because I knew this was coming, I planned ahead and gave up something else for Lent... I feel like I watch a lot of TV, but 75% of that watching comes after 10:00, when I like to unwind and let my mind "chillax". Most the time, I would fall asleep if watching past 10:00, which isn't great since I would wake up at 3:00 in the morning, brush my teeth, then finally go to bed. So, in an attempt to remedy that, I gave up watching TV past 10:00. The results have been "semi sweet" (sorry about the chocolate pun). I have been more productive after 10:00, but I still fall asleep on the couch and go to bed at 2:00 in the morning. I have also missed some great live television, including Elton John the Foo Fighters on SNL... I guess that's why it's a sacrifice huh?

Mmm... Chocolate Chip Cookies...So all in all, this has been an interesting Lent season that I think can be classified as a success. I hope I take some of the adjusted behaviors with me... But, you can count on me sitting in front of the TV watching something like South Park at 10:00 on April 25th, 2011 with a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of chocolate almond milk... that just won't happen as often ;).

1 comment:

Danielle V. said...

I hope you found a good place to hide that chocolate your mom gave you and didn't throw it out! :)