Sunday, June 12, 2011

30 is the New 22...

New Born Clint!Hello amigos! Hope this finds you well. I figured I would share some thoughts now that I’m a whole 30 years old and no longer a "spring chicken"...

.... First of all, I don’t mind turning 30. Really, I didn’t love being a kid, so the first 16 years were "ho-hum" (not that there was anything really wrong with my childhood, growing up is just tough for most everyone). The last couple years of high school were pretty good, but part of that was because I was coming into my own. College was better than high school, sure, but I spent a lot of (and probably too much) time studying (hence I'm still burned out on reading and not going back to school for my master's degree anytime soon). But since then, life has only gotten better. More freedom, more self discovery, more friends, more fun and opportunities, what’s not to like? I have really enjoyed being old enough to make some serious decision, control my own destiny, make some money, see parts of the country (and world, eventually), and just have some fun (concerts, poker, etc.). I'm really keen on growing with some great people, seeing them get married and/or raise a family, and I’m really excited to start that part of my life at somepoint.

VERY young Clint and Zach!Second, I don't really feel that old. I know people our age really fret this age because we're "officially old"... but I don't feel that way. Sure, I'm not 21 anymore, and it takes some (more) time to recover on some things, but at the same time, I can still do things pretty easily. In fact, I can run more/faster, lift more, bend further, and like to think I'm smarter (but I can't shoot a basketball any better than I use to). For those of you who have met my almost 70 year old father (yeah, I'm surprised sometimes too), he's still surprising agile, and I think that I inherited the "good genes" (still don't wear glassed like the rest of the fam, for example), so age doesn't really scare me.

High School Clint!Now, when I say all this, I realize how lucky and blessed I've been. I've been in good health, had an AMAZING support system, embraced my "good fortune", and have a strong work ethic. I know not everyone has this same chances I have had, and I hope to embrace this even more as I get older and time goes on.

College Clint!Finally, I'm not looking at this as the best years of my life have come and gone, or that a third of my life has passed (if I'm lucky ;), but rather, the "best is yet to come." I am looking forward to getting married and starting a family someday, exploring more of the world, trying new things, and, someday, retirement (it helps me feel young since this is SO FAR AWAY)! The way I see it, I made it through the past 30 years, and things are only going to get better... Shouldn't you look at it this way too?

After College Clint!I’ve enjoyed "growing up," but I’ve enjoyed being a "grown up," even more. And I think I'm going to enjoy "growing old" immensely... To some of you, "growing old" starts today (at age 30)... But to me, I’m still figuring out who I am, what I what to do, and where I want to go (remember that "Wear Sunscreen" song? "Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know don't know what they want to do with their lives..." That's stuck with me)... and I wouldn't want it any other way...

... And there’s never been a better time to hang out or holla at your boy :)

Clint and Carolyn now!Cheers!

Clint

1 comment:

Care's Corner said...

You are so cute! I love you!