Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Second Coming...

Never thought I would see this...... Of a hall of fame quarterback to the Denver Broncos... decipher that as you see fit ;)

In case you haven't heard loyal reader, Peyton Manning has decided to continue his career with the Denver Broncos. I have a lot of mixed feeling about it, but overall, I like the acquisition. Looking forward to this season even more now.

So let's talk what the acquisition means, and let's start with the Broncos team and organization. Like I mentioned in my previous post, Manning is a class act on and off the field. He gives the defense time to recover and rest when he has the offense on the field, makes the offense smarter with play calling and decision making, and makes the coaches job easier and let's the coaches focus elsewhere. Where I come from, those are all wins. One of the biggest perks of Manning vs. Tim Tebow is his experience and leadership... things every team needs. I know there are questions about his health and if this is a big risk, and the truth is, it is a risk... just like any other player in the NFL. No one likes it, but injuries are part of the game. Look at Elvis Dumervil. Awesome season, awesome health, then goes out the whole season very early in the (pre) season due to a practice drill. And, like Peyton, Elvis came back and preformed well (had a little more help on the line with Von Miller, so his numbers were down, but still played great). The doctors from all the teams interested said Peyton passed their physical, and he's still recovering everyday. Plus, if he didn't think he could play, do you think he would? Guy has enough money and is already going to be in the hall of fame...

Will Manning and Tebow be on the same team?Speaking of Tebow, I applaud him like I have a good chunk of the time he's been in Denver. Even with speculation of signing Manning, he didn't cry and wine and want to be traded like another quarterback (who's name starts with J and ends in Cutler). He's been quiet and letting things happen (and I like to think he's been growing and learning). If it were up to me, Tebow would stay on the team and learn from the future and current hall of famers (to become a hall of famer himself), but we'll see what happens. Aaron Rodgers and Cry Baby Phillip Rivers are good examples of QBs ridding the bench and learning from HOF QBs (Brett Farve and Drew Brees, respectively). With that said, it looks like Tebow will be traded. This disappoints me, but from a business perspective, it makes sense. Tim Tebow's trade value may never be higher, especially if he's riding the bench... The Broncos also owe it to Tebow to let him find a team that will play him, since it appears Elway never loved the guy. I have to wonder who will back up Manning though, since I feel like an injury is possible (as mentioned above)...

Lots happened during the Manning Circus...It's hard to believe the circus of signing Manning was only 12 days long (he was officially released from the Colts on the 7th of March)... And even though it only took 12 days, it seemed much, MUCH longer. I felt the decision was holding the Broncos hostage. I would have been FURIOUS had Peyton decided on a different team. I do feel for the Titans who also went in pretty deep, changing their Free Agency strategy. I don't feel much for the 49ers who already have a stellar team (and now might be losing Alex Smith due to their interest in PM). The Dolphins just dug themselves into a hole (wonder if they are now happy they passed on Kyle Orton), and the Cardinals were just in the wrong position (and conference) at the wrong time. It'll be interested to see how Free Agency falls out from this point forward for the entire NFL, in addition to the draft (and the Tebow trade?) and what former Colts make their way to Denver (i.e. Saturday, Clark, and Stokley, among others).

Elway is putting his executive career on the line with Manning... let's hope he's right.As I mentioned, I do like the signing.  Like anything, there are pros and cons. I think the pros are more obvious and I've mentioned those previously, so what are the cons? Well, the cost for one. Someone wooed excessively will never come cheap. The Broncos have the cap space and the money, but should they have pursued multiple defensive players instead? Was this a good use of money for the Broncos? Personally, I think so. Like I said, Peyton keeps the offense on the field longer and helps the defense rest and be fresh when they take the field.  Another con could be the timing Peyton have left. He turns 36 on Saturday, so what? Three, four years? Then what? Tebow's young and could be groomed, but I'm starting to think the organization doesn't have much faith in Tim developing into what they want... To go with that, who can back up Manning? I hope Denver has a plan, because people get hurt... Finally, what about the supporting cast? If it's tailored to Peyton, will the team gel around his back up and successor? We saw how that has gone for the Indianapolis Colts... Hope Elway and co. have that in the back of their minds...

So, overall, I am really excited to have Manning on board as a Bronco. I'll be sad to see Tebow go, but it could be what's best for all parties involved. There are risks, but "risk is the sweetener of life, so indulge" (anonomous)... Here we go, Bronco Country!

Go Broncos!

1 comment:

Beau Solano said...

I couldn't agree more except for one point. Tim Tebow will never develop as a QB to the level he needs to be sitting on the bench. He is a guy who needs more than anything to play. That's the only time the guy gets better is during a game. I was at training camp this last summer and the guy looked TERRIBLE in practice, against the third stringers!!

Guys like Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers were already accomplished passers and could sit on the bench because they didn't need to learn how to throw the ball they just needed to learn how to read coverages and adjust to the speed of the game. Not to mention Rodgers was taking ALL of the first team reps in OTA's and Training camp back then because Brett Favre wouldn't participate until the end of training camp. That helped immensely in his development and also led to his ease of a transition to the starter. I mean Scorgi and Painter sat behind Manning and how did they turn out? Manning can teach Tebow everything other than how to accurately throw a football. Which it seems no one has been able to teach him up until now and he's 24 years old and has played QB since he was in pop warner football.

Ultimately I love the Manning signing and will love to see Tebow go for 2 reasons.

1.I want to see championship caliber football in Denver again. And Manning can deliver that. We will be a legitimate threat to win it all every year he's here no matter how many years that is.We can now draft a traditional passer either this year or next and be focusing on Defense much easier with an established future Hall of Fame QB under center. And that guy can learn from possibly the greatest QB ever in Manning

2. I don't have to sit around for the next 3 or 4 years while Tebow keeps us right in that sweet spot of barely making or missing the playoffs, not getting to a Super Bowl and getting a draft pick at that same sweet spot of the 17th to 20th pick in the draft. All while his loyal following will be making excuse after excuse for the guy no matter how much the lack of passing prowess stands out. My concern with him from day one when he became the starter was that the fact that he was put in due to his rabid following would be the same reason he wouldn't be pulled. The majority of his fans have their Tebow blinders on and will never admit to him being the reason we weren't as succesful no matter how bad he plays.

Ultimately this is what I've wanted to see from the day he became starter and I applaud John Elway for having the stones to go out and get a guy like Manning. If not for any other reason than to say "ok guys I get it you love this Tebow guy and if I pull him you'll lose your shit, stop coming to games and ultimately stop supporting the franchise so I'll get the one guy who you can't argue is an improvement". And yet I still hear people saying they would rather have Tebow!And that is exactly my point on Tebow. Even bringing in Peyton Manning is a dumb move because we have Tebow...REALLY?!?!

Ultimately I am glad to see Manning here and will be even happier to see Tebow go. If he does go somewhere and becomes an elite QB then I'll listen to the maybe we should have kept him arguement and say I was wrong about him and have always offered that view. But I really don't think that's going to happen. John Elway has made me feel like Bronco football is back!

GO BRONCOS!!!